Architecture (archi-toture as some architects would say..hahaha!)

Frank Gehry 2006 crop.jpg

I was introduced to Frank Ghery born Frank Owen Goldberg; February 28, 1929 by an ex who's an architect via the means of an awesome documentary called 'Sketches of Frank Ghery' by Sidney Pollack. I was like WOA!!!!! This guy will throw crumpled pieces of paper and analyse them from different angles and get sketching. His work is amazing! Under his belt is:

File:Guggenheim bilbao.JPG
 The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao


The Dancing House in Prague

File:Disney Concert Hall by Carol Highsmith edit2.jpg
The Disney Concert Hall amongst other genius creations. He pushes boundaries and is unorthodox in his approach to architecture (and still allows allows for his buildings to be habitable).
Another thing that really fascinated me about his work is his love for fish (I'm a mushy sentimental pisces). They appear in his buildings, sculptures, furniture and his jewelry line (I need to get rich real soon!)

Not everone is a fan though.. Critics have said:
His buildings waste resources, are oblivious to climate, do not blend well with their environments ( okay, The Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao does look like a random spaceship to its sorrounding) etc..

I say he is totally awesome and a master in his own right. If only I could get one of them jewellry pieces man!!!

Dankie!

"I think my best skill as an architect is the achievement of hand-to-eye coordination; I am able to transfer a sketch into a model into the building".  Frank Ghery Share on Tumblr

2 comments:

  1. Also look at Renzo Paino, Norman Foster, Zaha Hadid, Antoni Gaudi & Rem Koolhaas - some of my favourite Architects.

    ReplyDelete

Share on Tumblr